Ingredients Available at
Cradle Coast Farmers' Market
Olive Oil - Cradle Coast Olives
Shallots, Garlic, Carrots, Celery, Swede, Turnips, Parsley - Old School Farm
- Place the flour and 1 tbsp of smoked paprika into a bowl and mix together. Ensure diced buffalo is dried thoroughly before coating in flour mixture.
- Put 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter into pan and heat until butter begins to foam. Brown the buffalo pieces in batches - be sure not to overcrowd the pan. Add more oil and butter as required to brown all the buffalo pieces. Set aside.
- Saute schallots for 2 -3 mins (be sure to use the same pan to make the most of the delicious flavours from browning the buffalo pieces) until lightly golden. Add garlic, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 mins.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a further 2-3 mins. Add tomato puree, tomato paste, vegetable stock and bay leaves and bring to simmer. Turn heat to very low heat and leave to simmer for 2-3 hours. (You can also cook in a low heat oven with lid on or transfer to your slow-cooker).
- Add diced vegetables and continue to cook on a very low heat for a further 2 -3 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stew can be served with mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes or you can serve with dumplings and steamed greens.
Herbed Parmesan Dumplings
- Place flour, butter, parsley, parmesan, salt and pepper into a bowl and rub together with fingertips until crumbly.
- Just before you are ready to add the dumplings to the stew, add enough of the water to the mixture to form a firm but soft dough.
- Break the dough into pieces and roll them into dumplings.
- Stew will need to be placed into an oven proof dish. Add dumplings to top of stew and place in the oven to cook for 15 - 20 mins until dumplings are golden and have doubled in size.